SEEK THE  LORD AND HIS STRENGTH;


History Of Catholic Reddys

The headman of Madigubba village in Ananthapur district, Thumma Hanumantha Reddy, was dying of an incurable disease. Madigubba is 30 kilometers away from Krishnapuram. A Catholic, Rangappa of Krishnapuram who happened to visit him informed him about Fr Le Gac. On Rangappa's advice Hanumantha Reddy's brother Kondappa Reddy met Fr Le Gac a Jesuit missionary at Krishnapuram and returned with his permission to bring his brother to him. Fr Le Gac agreed but warned the man saying “Our profession is not to administer medicine but to instruct in the law of God,”

Kondappa returned home and took his brother and family to Fr Le Gac. Reddy told Fr Le Gac that he is looking to live in the faith and to be a follower of Christ and not interested in earthly life. As his end drew near, Hanumantha Reddy asked Fr Gac for baptism. Fr Le Gac baptized him along with his family, giving him the name Rayapa Reddy(Peter-the Corner Stone) in September 1715. 

After the death of Rayappa Reddy on December 24 in 1715 the whole family went back to their village. Through their efforts many people of the village were instructed faith and Fr Le Gac visited the village and 30 people were baptized. As they grew in number they decided to construct a church in the village and they approached the local ruler of Ananthapur and obtained permission for the construction.

Fr Carron another Jesuit Missionary joined Fr Le Gac to preach for Reddys but died on July 28 in 1721 while ministering the Cholera victims at Krishnapuram.

Read more: